Anguilla Football League
Data Sports Group Logo
Uprising FC


On Tuesday 21st May we looked to extend our unbeaten run to four games when we came up against Spartans FC at REGTC. This game proved to be a very tough encounter and although we opened the scoring on 49 minutes courtesy of a fine Javis Jones guided header into the far post, we were perhaps quite fortunate to take a point from the game after being pegged back in the 58th minute through a Timarqus Connor strike and then Spartans being guilty of missing several chances before the 90 minutes came to an end.

The first half was a very quiet affair with little by the way of goalmouth action to talk of. Jauron Gayle had our first shot on goal in the 8th minute and it was the Anguillian Archer again 20 minutes later who beat two men before his shot was well saved by Shemor Browne. Our opponents had a goal disallowed for offside in the 14th minute and we had Nathaniel Gumbs to thank for a trademark last ditch tackle when he denied Spartans a clear goalscoring opportunity.

The second half, as previously reported, got off to a flying start when we took the lead through our captain Javis Jones, and we almost doubled our lead shortly after when a cross from Defari Francis found Jauron who headed narrowly wide. Spartans then got back on level terms and in all honesty, it was them who then bossed the game for much of the remaining minutes. 

Spartans thought they had taken the lead on 71 minutes, but their effort was ruled out for offside and then a minute later a ball across the face of our goal thankfully evaded everyone and eventually rolled away to safety. Our goalkeeper Keronni Vanterpool was called into action shortly after and produced a save from a long-range free kick. 

Perhaps the best chance of the half for Spartans came just five minutes from time when Alexander Hartley somehow blasted the ball high over the bar when he really should have scored. Our opponents were then reduced to ten men when Kaeron Herbert was sent off for a second bookable offence.

Keronni was again called into action in the first minute of stoppage time when he produced an excellent save to deny Timarqus Connor who was clean through on goal. It must be said that although we were not really at our best throughout the second half, the boys battled extremely hard and worked well for one another. Our efforts were almost rewarded in the second minute of stoppage time when Jauron’s shot was deflected wide of the target.

All in all, we must be happy to have claimed a point from this game and you know how the old saying goes, if you don’t play well and don’t get beat then that is the mark of a good team!

Uprising Line Up: 
1) Keronni Vanterpool 3) Asharn Hodge 17) Rachad Thomas 27) Nathaniel Gumbs 29) Joel Orosco 5) Tre Gumbs 7) Defari Francis 22) Sherwin Lewis 24) Javis Jones ( c ) 25) Dajaun Jacobs 13) Jauron Gayle 

Substitutes: 14) Chavoi Gumbs 6) Denny Derrick 21) Dion Williams 28) Te-Vaun Richardson 31) Kelley Fleming 11) Ricardo Petty

Related Topics