Anguilla Football League
Data Sports Group Logo
Uprising FC


On Friday 8th March, and after no games for a few weeks due to international call ups, we took on WEP in our opening game of the 2024 AFL regular season. We had come up against our opponents in the recent Presidents Cup competition, bearing them 9-0. However, this was a new game and in football you cannot take anything for granted so we approached this game as we would with any other. This professional mindset was needed as we came up against a very determined opponent!


We started the game well, and the opening ten minutes saw two long range shots from the left foot of Jordan Deans which were well dealt with by the WEP goalkeeper. We were also getting a lot of joy down the right side with Delani Francis finding himself in some good positions enabling him to deliver dangerous crosses into the penalty area.


WEP had their first shot on goal in the 13th minute which Keronni Vanterpool did well to save, diving low to his right hand side. Two minutes later, Tajay 'Barber' Johnson went on an exciting run and was only denied a shot at goal by a last ditch tackle. Barber was involved in our best move of the game to that point when on 18 minutes he beat his marker to find Jauron, 'The Anguillian Archer" layed the ball off for Keron Warner who forced a great save from the WEP custodian. 


On 21 minutes, The Anguillian Archer made the GK work again and moments later he was denied for a second time in quick succession having been put clean through on goal by a superb pass from Tré 'Vintage' Gumbs. 


Having forced all of the early running we fell a goal behind on 27 minutes, through a long range strike giving Keronni Vanterpool no chance! It was now time to roll our sleeves and try to get ourselves back into the game. We almost responded immediately! Firstly, a shot from Jauron was saved and Delani Francis put the rebound wide of the post from close range. Next it was Asharn Hodge to go close to equalising with a headed effort before our captain Javis Jones finally found the goal that our performance deserved with a very cool finish on 36 minutes. Game on!


We thought we had gone 2-1 up on 40 minutes but Delani's strike was ruled out for a foul. Other decent efforts from Vintage Tré and Jauron forced good saves from the WEP GK meaning the first half would end 1-1.


We started the second half well, knocking the ball around very confidently and created the first chance of the half on 50 minutes when a delightful pass from Jordan Deans found Delani Francis who hit the side netting from a tight angle. Delani was then put through by a pass from Tré but his shot sailed over the bar. 


We still had to be on our guard in defence and Keronni Vanterpool was forced into making a good save on 63 minutes from a long range shot. Despite this we were still the dominant side and kept creating chances but we couldn't force that second goal! Delaini had a shot saved on 80 minutes and so did Jordan just three minutes later. Was it going to be one of those days!


In the second minute of time added on Keron Warner had a shot deflected over the bar and it looked like the game was going to end all square. However, we kept pouring forward and with literally the last kick of the game, Marvin Erskine roared forward and turned the ball into the net after Jauron's shot was saved! What an amazing finish to our first game of the AFL regular season!


Final Score: Uprising 2-1 WEP


Uprising Line Up:


1) Keronni Vanterpool, 2) Delani Francis, 3) Asharn Hodge, 22) Marvin Erskine, 27) Nathaniel Gumbs, 5) Tré Gumbs, 8) Jordan Deans, 15) Keron Warner, 24) Javis Jones ( c ), 11) Tajay Johnson, 13) Jauron Gayle


Subs: 31) Joel Orosco, 4) Matthew Brown, 6) Denny Derrick, 7) Defari Francis, 25) Dajaun Jacobs, 33) Damanie Campbell 


POTM: Marvin Erskine.

Related Topics