Anguilla Football League
Data Sports Group Logo
Uprising FC


Yes, we lost our recent Presidents Cup Semi-Final against Roaring Lions, but our overall performance provided some encouraging signs for the main league season, and we must remember that in the previous Presidents Cup, we failed to make it out of the Group Stage. Taking all of this into account, we will look back on the competition with pride and look forward to the new league campaign!

The game against Lions started in the worst possible way for us as we found ourselves 2-0 down inside the first ten minutes. Our opponents took the lead on 5 minutes through a neat finish by their captain Germain Hughes and they quickly doubled their advantage just two minutes later courtesy of a strike by Oliver Walker. 

We then had Marvin Erskine to thank for a vital challenge to deny Lions an opportunity for a third goal on 12 minutes and five minutes later we mounted an attack of our own only for Tajay ‘Barber’ Johnson’s shot to be deflected wide of the target. We were now working our way back into the game and were able to create numerous half chances before our best chance of the half came on 41 minutes. A good move which saw Jauron Gayle breaking down the left, ‘The Anguillan Archer’ found ‘Barber’ whose low shot went agonisingly wide of the near post!

One minute from half-time, Keron Warner tried his luck with a shot only for it to go wide of the goal which meant the score remained 2-0 to Lions as the referee blew his whistle for the break.

It was almost the perfect start to the second half for the boys when just two minutes in, ‘Barber’ had a shot spilled by Service in the Lions goal, ‘The Archer’ pounced but his close-range effort was saved again by Service! It was ‘The Archer’ who again went close just ten minutes later when he forced another fine save by Service! 

On 62 minutes, Service was yet again brought into action following an excellent effort from the ever-impressive Delani Francis. Three minutes later and it was our own goalkeeper, Keronni Vanterpool who showed his shot stopping ability when he denied Germain Hughes with a fine 1v1 save, and then shortly after our young custodian tipped a shot from distance over the bar. 

There were more heroics from Keronni on 74 minutes when he pulled off yet another fine save, but he could do nothing deny Lions on 76 minutes when they went 3-0 up from a goal scored by Christon Williams. 

Credit must go to our lads for not letting their heads drop and we continued to attack when ever possible! The final few minutes saw a shot from ‘Barber’ hitting the crossbar and a header from Marvin Erskine being cleared off the line!

So, it is Roaring Lions who go onto the final on Thursday 15th February where they will take on Attackers in a game where we wish both teams well. As for ourselves, we will dust ourselves down, reset and get ready for the forthcoming Anguilla Football League campaign.


Starting Line Up:
1) Keronni Vanterpool, 2) Delani Francis, 3) Asharn Hodge, 22) Marvin Erskine, 27) Nathaniel Gumbs, 7) Defari Francis, 8) Jordan Deans, 15) Keron Warner, 24) Javis Jones ( c ), 11) Tajay Johnson, 13) Jauron Gayle

18) Antoine Fleming, 4) Matthew Brown, 6) Denny Derrick, 19) Tre Gumbs, 25) Dajaun Jacobs

Uprising Player of the Match: Delani Francis. What else can be said about this young man who continues to impress, week in week out!


Match report compiled by – Gareth Thomas: Club Media Officer

Related Topics