Anguilla Football League
Data Sports Group Logo
Uprising FC

Uprising FC - The Comeback Kings

In a pulsating game at the Raymond E. Guishard Technical Centre on Friday evening, Uprising went away with all three points after beating Lymers FC by 3 goals to 1. However, this does not even tell half the story from an excellent evening of football.

Uprising went into this game in good mood having not been beaten in the their last two games and were looking for another positive result.

The first five minutes of this encounter were in all honesty quite quiet with Uprising having slightly more possession of the ball. We created the first real chance of the game in the 6th minute when Rene Thomas latched onto a through ball. Rene beat his marker but his shot was smothered by the Lymers goalkeeper. 

In the 12th minute we fell a goal behind which was slightly against the run of the play. A cross from the right flank found Lymers player Noah Bradshaw in plenty of space in the penalty area which resulted in him firing the ball high into the net to give his team the lead.

After going a goal down we kept our heads and actually started to play some really good attacking football. On two occasions we had efforts at goal by Rene Thomas and the excellent Javis Jones which were unfortunately for us wide of the target. On 19 minutes the speedy Davin Fleming produced a great run down the right wing which led him to delivering a dangerous looking cross into the Lymers penalty which sadly came to nothing with the ball being cleared away to safety. 

When Lymers had the ball they were also looking dangerous and on 29 minutes they tried their luck from long range but our stand in goalkeeper Antoine Laurent who was deputising for the injured Rachad Thomas, comfortably saved the shot on goal. One minute later we went up the other end of the pitch and went close to getting back on level terms - Stephan Fiedtkou cut the ball back to Rene Thomas but his shot was deflected just wide of the target for a corner.

The last real action of the first half came on 42 minutes when Tre Gumbs sent over a superb long range pass to Davin Fleming, Davin sent in a cross which was well claimed by the Lymers goalkeeper.


Half Time Score: 0-1


Lymers created the first chance of the second period just five minutes after the restart, a long range shot which went wide of the near post. Uprising then began to grow into the second half and were retaining plenty of possession. Stephan Fiedtkou produced some great individual play on the right on 57 minutes, his pass to Rene Thomas was then passed onto Javis Jones who's attempt at goal was bravely blocked by a Lymers defender. There was a real sense now that Uprising were getting well on top and that was proven to be correct when just four minutes later we levelled the game. Rene Thomas whipped in an in swinging cross from the Uprising right which evaded the goalkeeper and found substitute Xaviere Devonish alone at the far post. Devonish made no mistake and tapped the ball into the unguarded goal.

Literally seconds after the game restarted we won a free kick right on the edge of the Lymers box. Matthew Brown who was being played as a midfielder in this game rather than in his usual centre back position stepped up and curled the free kick wide of the target. The boys were producing some excellent football and on 65 minutes the scorer of our first goal, Devonish almost doubled his and our tally on the night but his shot at goal was well saved at the near post.

On 70 minutes our excellent play was rewarded by us taking the lead - this was an excellent individual goal by the impressive Stephan Fiedtkou. "Fu" glided past two Lymers defenders and bravely beat the onrushing goalkeeper to the ball and lifted it over him into the net. Despite the jubilation of the goal "Fu" had to leave the field of play shortly afterwards due to an injury picked up after colliding with the Lymers goalkeeper when in the process of scoring - we wish him well in his recovery.

In the 77th minute, Tre Gumbs sent in a dangerous looking cross but it narrowly avoided Rene Thomas with the ball eventually being cleared to safety by the Lymers defender. Lymers went close to equalising on 86 minutes when one of their substitutes shot at goal from 20 yards out but fortunately for us the ball went narrowly wide of the target.

Uprising made the game safe on 90 minutes when Rene Thomas finished from close range following good work by Xaviere Devonish in the lead up to the goal.

This was a really excellent performance from the boys which maintained our unbeaten run and saw us on the night moving into the top 4 in the league - a quite excellent achievement and we now look forward to our future games with a high degree of confidence. 

Uprising Line Up :

30. Antoine Fleming ( GK ) , 3. Asharn Hodge ( C ) , 13. Tre Gumbs , 5. Adrian Carty , 25.Kymani Hodge , 7. Javis Jones , 10. Rene Thomas ,17. Matthew Brown, 24. Sanjay Harrigan ( 54 min / 19. Xaviere Devonish ) , 8.Davin Fleming ( 54min / 16. Shakeem Lewis ) , 4.Stephan Fiedtkou ( 76 min / 18. Rayquan Gumbs )

Related Topics