Anguilla Football League
Data Sports Group Logo
Uprising FC

Uprising Return to Winning Ways

9th July 2021

Anguilla Senior Male League

Raymond E. Guishard Technical Centre

Uprising FC 2-1 Enforcers FC

Referee: Trevor Rouse


Following on from our defeat seven days ago against Kicks United, it was important that we bounced back this week in the best possible way - and bounce back excellently is exactly what we did!

After a good week of training in between the two games, spirits were still high in the camp although we were without Tre Gumbs due to a back injury and Ea-Rhon Rogers because of suspension for this encounter.

The opening 25 minutes of this game were in truth quite scrappy with neither team able to take control of the game but this was not due to a lack of effort or endeavour - sometimes football just works that way! The flow of the game was also not helped due to an injury to two opposing players and the game being held up for around eight minutes. Following this unfortunate set of events it also transpired that our goalkeeper, Rachad Thomas  had to leave the field of play due an injured finger which resulted in him having to go to hospital. All at the club would like to wish Rachad all the very best of luck with his recovery. 

Despite this setback, we started to take control of the game and indeed took the lead on 31 minutes. A very good passing move down the left wing resulted in the ball being cut back which found Rene Thomas in the six yard box with the goal gaping. Rene made no mistake and comfortably dispatched the ball into a empty net to put us one goal to the good.

As soon as we opened the scoring it was apparent that the confidence in the boys game was growing and we were looking very sharp in possession as well as winning our individual battles. This is backed up by Rene Thomas going close to extending our lead in the 40th minute but he was just beaten to the ball by the Enforcers goalkeeper. Four minutes later and it was that man Thomas who went close again, this time nearly scoring direct from a corner!

Credit to Enforcers who almost levelled the game on the stroke of half time but were denied by a superb block by our captain Asharn Hodge.


Half Time Score: 1-0


We picked up where we left off and created the first chance of note in the second half on 52 minutes when a great team move ended up with our final shot being deflected wide of the target. However, just one minute later we doubled our advantage through Rene Thomas being on the end of another brilliant team passing move - a delight to see!

We were now well in charge of the game but football is a funny old game and Enforcers reduced their arrears on 67 minutes through a Sylvanus James goal coming completely out of nothing.

Uprising almost regained their two goal lead on 70 minutes when the impressive Sanjay Harrigan unfortunately hit the post whilst clean through on goal. Enforcers kept on plugging away and went close themselves on 82 minutes but we were happy to see their shot sail narrowly over the bar. 

Harrigan again went close for Uprising on 83 minutes but his chipped effort from distance just went wide of the target.

The final five minutes of the game saw more chances come and go for the boys but this didn't matter as we held onto our advantage to secure a vital win!

Uprising Line Up:

30. Rachad Thomas (GK) ( 22 / 18. Rayquan Gumbs ) , 3. Asharn Hodge ( c ) 5. Adrian Carty 27. Chavoi Gumbs 7. Javis Jones , 10. Rene Thomas 16. Shakeem Lewis ( 61 / 26. Rian Richardson / 92 / 6.Danny Derrick), 17. Matthew Brown 20. Antoine Laurent 24. Sanjay Harrigan, 8. Davin Fleming ( 77 / 12.Keonandrew Alexander )


Thoughts from our Technical Director - Andre Collins


Our team showed great fight and determination tonight! You would remember that the team went down heavily just seven days previously and we were without several key players which included Tre Gumbs, Stephan Fiedtkou and Nathanial Gumbs through injury. Added to this list and out due to suspension was Ea-Rhon Rogers.

Everyone put in the work this week in preparation for this game and stayed committed to their roles.

As a coaching staff we are quite happy to see the improvements from the last game and look forward to continued growth for the rest of the season.

Unfortunately our goalkeeper, Rachad Thomas suffered an injured finger which meant we had to make some unplanned changes.

All in all we are happy with tonight's win as we saw players committed to their team roles and the team plan. 



Related Topics